Rules are meant to broken; fashion rules especially I think!
While there is an "old school" set of fashion rules, very few people adhere to these anymore. Rules such as: don't mix prints, never wear green and yellow without a color in between, or white shoes only part of the year; still exist, but not for me!
I might be a bit of a rebel, but fashion should be fun and rules are not fun! I break all of the rules above, but some people might be afraid to.
So, although I am far from an expert, here are a few tips to get you started on your rule breaking ways!
1. Wear mostly black garments, but brown accessories (such as shoes, bag and belt). Or reverse this combination: brown clothes and black accessorie.
2. Consider white shoes part of a winter white outfit--try matching tights or a white coat.
3. For mixing prints wear prints that are similar in size and color.
4. To mix gold and silver jewelry wear a lot of both and right next to each other--like layered necklaces.
5. "Season" appropriate clothing isn't necessary! Wear florals in fall by layering long cardigans or blazers over top.
6. Socks with sandals can be done--or at least stockings with open-toed heels, for a fashion forward look match your stockings to your shoes!
These are just a few ideas to get anyone nervous about breaking rules started.
Does anyone have any favorite rules they like to break? Or tricks they use to stay ahead of the curve?